You’ve made a new life for yourself in another corner of the world.
But have you crossed the line to becoming a true expat??
Test yourself on these 22 signs of a true expat and see for yourself!!
1. You get cravings for silly things like Heinz ketchup and Hershey bars
2. You get grumpy about the very same things that initially drew you to your adopted home
3. You often feel torn between two identities.
4. You’re friends with expats, but only those who arrived around the same time as you
5. You find newbies irritating
6. You sometimes dream in a foreign language
7. You’ve attended weddings, birthday parties and baby showers….. on Skpye!
8. Your old life seems gray
9. After many iterations, you’ve finally perfected the The Ultimate Guest Tour
10. You pity those still stuck in corporate life
11. Your friends have become your family
12. You’ve eaten things you never dreamed you would
13. You get strangely defensive when someone (who doesn’t live there) criticizes your adopted home
14. You wouldn’t be seen dead in the ‘expat bars’
15. You’re a lot more adventurous than you used to be
16. When you fly back, nothing ever seems to change
17. You never get bored of gloating about your new life
18. You plan less and do more
19. You turn up late but are often early
20. You’ve attended countless leaving parties for friends who ‘went back’
21. Your family have stopped asking you when you’re coming home
22. Home is where you are now
How did you score? More than 15 out of 22 and we’d say you’re a true expat, let us know!
If you liked this you might also like: 25 Signs That You’re a True Citizen of the World