“The Time Machine”, “Star Trek”, “Dr Who”… Time travel has captured our creative imaginations for centuries. But could it really make the quantum leap from fiction to reality??
Traveling through time, what a mind-boggling concept! Surely this is just the stuff of science fiction??
Perhaps not! Here are 5 reasons why time travel might just be possible!
1. Professor Ronald Mallett, from the University of Connecticut is building a real-life time machine! He intends to manipulate past, present and future by twisting space and time into a loop.
2. Time travel has not been proven to be possible but it’s also not been proven to be impossible.
3. If matter could be moved faster than light then, according to special relativity, there would be some inertial frame of reference in which the object was moving backwards in time.
4. Physicists at the University of Koblenz claim to have transmitted photons faster than the speed of light, using a phenomenon known as quantum tunneling.
5. If a cylinder is infinitely long and spins fast enough about its long axis, then a spaceship flying around the cylinder could travel backwards or forwards in time.
Will time travel will ever be possible? When would you travel to?? Post up your comments below, we want to hear from you!
Coming up…. virtual travel. Don’t miss out! Sign up for FREE blog updates via RSS or email below.
More on Professor Mallett’s time travel research.
Photo – Star Trek by As you said.